How to Repair a Cracked iPhone 6S Screen or Display
Released on September 25, 2015, the 4.7 inch iPhone 6S is upgraded to be with a new-fangled 3D touch display. Although it is the unique handset in this year, it is not a perfect one. Similar to the Apple previous generations, iPhone 6S touch screen would be broken, but it is very easy to DIY replace a broken 6S screen. If your favorite iPhone 6S screen is cracked, you can replace a new one – 6S LCD and touch screen assembly with frame, for the LCD can solve the damaged display problems, like dead pixels, color distortion, and vertical lines, while the digitizer touch screen will solve the touch sensitivity issues. Here we provide you step-by-step tutorial of fixing a damaged iPhone 6S display.
Replace a Broken Apple iPhone 6S Screen Step by Step
Required Tools: Pentalobe screwdriver, Plastic Opening Tools, Eject Pin, Tweezers, screen suction cup tool and prying tool
Step 1: Remember to power off your iPhone 6S and take out your SIM card.
Tips: The two screws are at the bottom of the device, matching the color of the 6S case.
Step 2: Unscrew the two 6S pentalobe screws with a screwdriver.
Step 3: Separate the 6S display assembly from the rest of the body.
● Use a suction cup tool or iSclack tool to generate a gap between the 6S LCD assembly and the body.
● Use a case opening tool to insert the phone from either side of the frame containing clips and release the iPhone screen assembly.
Tips: Handle carefully to avoid any damage to the clips securing the iPhone 6S display assembly to the body of the phone. Also, you need to pay attention to the new adhesive gasket which helps to secure the display to the body, improving water resistance in the new iPhone.
Step 4: Unscrew the four screws securing the metal protection cover.
● With the 6S display assembly popped up, you can unscrew the four screws now and pluck the metal cover.
Step 5: Disconnect the iPhone 6S flex cable ribbon connectors with the spudger and release them.
Step 6: Now the iPhone 6S display assembly part comes free.
Step 7: Remove the iPhone bracket, speaker and the FaceTime camera step by step.
● Tips: There are three screws securing the metal bracket, so undo the screws firstly, then lift up the bracket covering the speaker. At last, remove the iPhone 6S front camera.
Step 8: Remove the iPhone 6S LCD shield plate covering the 6S 3D touch display assembly.
Tips: You need to unscrew the eight screws at first.
Step 9: Extract the iPhone 6S home button assembly step by step.
● Unscrew the two screws securing the bracket and pluck it.
● Spudgering the flex cable connector of 6S home button connector.
● Extract the 6S home button assembly.
Step 10: The disassembly of iPhone 6S LCD and touch screen assembly is entirely finished.
● Now you can take a new iPhone 6S display assembly for the screen replacement. Assemble it in reversal.
All photo sources: iFixit
Is it difficult to repair a broken iPhone 6S screen?
● According to iFixit, the iPhone 6S keeps up the decent work, earning 7 out of 10 (10 is the easiest to repair) on the repairability scale. We recommend you replace the whole broken iPhone 6S LCD screen assembly with frame rather than only the glass, for replacing the glass without destroying the display is going to be very difficult. Anyway, the iPhone 6S display assembly with frame is the first part out, simplifying 6S screen repair, but undoing Pentalobe screws still needs the special screwdrivers.
When you fix a cracked Apple iPhone 6S LCD display assembly, you’d better follow instructions of a professional person. This repair video from YouTube is only for your reference.
How to DIY Replace a Cracked Screen for Apple iPhone 6S in 5 minutes? (Video)